We are looking for a leader, someone with confidence in their fabrication abilities. Lead Welder/Fabricator is responsible for sheet metal and welding department layout, machine setup, and operation. A strong leadership background is essential.
- Cutting & fabricating the metal components, and welding them together to create a finished product.
- Responsible for operating metal working machinery, and for maintaining quality.
- Responsible for supporting the manager with day-to-day management of the manufacturing area.
- Overseeing other team members and ensuring an efficient operation in achieving business targets.
- Provide leadership and line management to the team, coordinating their workloads, providing support to ensure that the team delivers, monitoring any issues, and ensuring production targets.
- Performs precision machine work in order to create, assemble, disassemble, modify, or repair machines, apparatus, mechanical devises, and subassemblies. Makes, fits, and installs parts.
- Operates all machine shop power tools including drill press, punch press, saws, shears, and brakes, applying knowledge of machining properties of various metals.
- Uses precision measurement and layout tools, including micrometers, calipers, rules, squares, and compass, applying shop mathematics and formulae from handbook charts and tables.
- Reads and interprets drawings, sketches, and diagrams.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Meeting with customers to get information and determine course of action.
- Lead team for on-site installation and fabrication.
- Work independently, reviewed infrequently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to make decisions with least cost to customer yet protects quality of parts.
- Organizational skills and detail oriented with a quality mindset.
- Ability to frequently lift items up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to accept responsibility, perform work accurately and complete work in a timely manner.
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Good math and measurement skills
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to use computer to review 3D drawings, use excel docs, and keep track of jobs.
- Ability to take pictures, measurements, and notes to relay information to Supervisor and quoting department.
- Ability to carry oneself in a professional manner and project confidence to workers and customers.
Education and Experience:
Candidates must have 10-15 years of experience with steel fabrication, welding, and general manufacturing.
Two-year A.S, technical certificate, or equivalent coursework or training in a directly related field preferred, but not required.
Job Type: Full-time
Benefits: Benefit Package available upon completion of probationary period.
Shift: 6:00am – 4:30pm
Weekly day range: Monday – Thursday (Fridays off)
Work Location: Some travel required.
This position requires a good work ethic and a willingness to learn and adapt to the needs of the company. The Welder/Fabricator primarily joins, fabricates, and repairs material by applying appropriate welding techniques. Will interpret blueprints, specifications, diagrams or schematics to determine appropriate welding process. Inspects completed welds to determine structural soundness. They should be able to work well with others to ensure that production schedules are met. They must have the physical capability of thriving in a heavy industrial environment and performing well in a variety of conditions (heat, cold, noise).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Welder/Fabricator will:
- Work from prints, diagrams, schematics, specifications, instructions, operations manuals, and manufacturer’s manuals and specifications, to perform scheduled and emergency repairs
- Safely use material-handling equipment as required (chain falls; chokers; lifting straps, forklifts; mobile and house crane)
- Estimate required tools and materials for assigned tasks; communicate requirements to ensure parts, supplies, etc. are on hand for task.
- Select and set-up welding equipment and inspect their welds to ensure compliance to standards and specifications
- Knowledge of weld symbols and corresponding specification requirements is essential
- Maintains clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Adhere to safety regulations and operate safely in an office/shop environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Must be able to read drawings, prints, setup sheets, and other specifics as directed
- Set-up appropriate weld machines using knowledge of weld machine settings in conjunction with weld symbols shown on drawing.
- Weld tacks, fillets and butts in all positions at production rate.
- Knowledge of all related welding safety issues is a requirement.
- Ability to inspect welds to determine that they meet standards and/or specifications a must.
- Detail oriented
- Manual dexterity
- Sense of observation
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact well with other employees
- Must be able to lift 50-60 lbs.
- Climb stairs and ladders, work at heights
- Stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Bend, kneel, squat, twist, reach
- Ability to weld in the horizontal, vertical and overhead positions (work above shoulders)
- Work in buildings and areas of fluctuating temperature and weather
- Must be able to enter a confined space
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or equivalent. (required)
- Minimum 6 months of experience in welding preferred but not required
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required to be always worn on production floor:
- Hearing protection
- Safety glasses
- Steel toe work boots
Job Type: Full-time
Shift: 6am – 4:30pm
- 10-hour shift
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Off
- Possibility of over-time on Fridays
Benefits Package offered upon completion of 90-Day probationary period